Google

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Soooooo, You want to be a Travel Agent

I have heard many people, asking for advice as to whether I believed that getting into the travel business was a good idea or not.  Here are my thoughts.  If I were just now starting out in this business, I believe I wouldn't unless I had a huge following of people or if I was going to actually work in a full service, large travel agency.  I am the sole bread winner in my household, but if you were in a situation with a solid income from another person, (ie: spouse or S/O), I'd say, give it a whirl.  I personally feel as though I am successful in this business, because I've been doing this for over 20 years and have built up a reputation and a decent client base.  I was also a travel agent, prior to commission cuts and the internet being a booking tool option. 
 
On the other hand, because there are SO many internet booking options, many people find that trying to find the "best" deals on the internet can be overwhelming and generally time consuming, making the need for a travel agent essential for some.  If you're  wanting to be a travel agent, to do as a part time job to supplement your families income as a hobby type of thing, I'd say go for it.  Maybe you will, in time be able to build a decent business.
 
The bottom line is, the way things are today, this industry is very difficult to try and start out at the bottom, unless you have a great agency which you can join and they are willing to train you from the ground up.  There still are some agencies like that, but chances are, you won't be in a work at home situation until you have proven that you are worthy.  I'm a corporate travel agent primarily and I love it and as I've mentioned, I've been doing this for a very long time.
 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google